This Is How To File A Workers’ Compensation Claim

The process of filing for workers’ compensation can be challenging when you’re not familiar with the steps to obtain approval.

If you’ve visited your employer’s human resources office and you still have questions, here’s information you may find helpful when filling a claim.

What’s Provided

Workers’ compensation provides payment for lost wages, doctor visits, medical treatment, and therapy during the time that you’re disabled due to a work-related injury.

Claim Process

Step 1

If you haven’t done so already, it is imperative that you get an exam so that your physician or emergency medical doctor can document the result of your injury.

This information is important to have in your medical records and will serve as evidence that your medical history did not indicate the injury prior to the work-related accident.

Step 2

The HR Representative who handles workers compensation claims will provide you with the paperwork you need to apply for a leave. Your doctor will need to complete a portion of the paperwork in order to be approved for the claim.

After all the required paperwork has been submitted, you will be notified if your claim has been approved. The notification will be sent from your employer’s insurance company or either your place of employment.

If your claim is denied, you can try refuting your claim denial with your employer. You can substantiate your claim by submitting additional medical records when requested.

Depending on the nature of your injury and the impact it has on your ability to work, you may be off of work on a long or short-term basis.

The length of time it’s take to begin collecting lost wages will probably range between seven and 14 days. The amount you receive depends on your salary and your state’s workers’ compensation specified percentage.

When your primary care physician has granted you approval to return to work, you should notify your employer. When you return to work, you will resume your collection of your employer’s pay cycle.

Take Further Action

You can contact the workers’ compensation branch located in your city if your claim is denied. You should inquire about the length of time that you have to file a claim to avoid being denied.

Your local workers’ compensation office is available when you need an advocate to investigate the validity of the claim and review your employer’s decision to find out if discrimination has occurred.


You can also notify the Department of Labor and Industries Investigations Department. The address is listed below:

Department of Labor and Industries
Investigations Department
P. O. Box 44277
Olympia, Washington 98504-4277

The time frame for filing a discrimination complaint is 90 days. Court appearances are also permitted for claims that have not been filing within the specified period. The Department of Labor also has two help lines that you can call for this process.

• CLEAR (Offers free legal assistance) : (888) 201-1014

• PROJECT: (800) 255-9752

Workers’ compensation has been structured to protect employees from lack of income and medical coverage during injury recovery. Employers are obligated to follow federal mandated regulations when it comes to approving valid workers’ compensation claim. You can find your state’s workers’ compensation branch office contact information listed here.